Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Next Project: My One Woman Show!

I'm currently in the process of creating my first One Woman Show. As this is a new endeavor, I'll be honest in saying that I don't know what I'm doing. So I enlisted the services of a Mr. Kamau W. Bell (Kamau has been profiled in The San Francisco Chronicle on three different occasions, including not ironically during Black History Month. The SF Weekly called him, "smart, stylish, and very much in the mold of politically outspoken comedians like Dave Chappelle and Margaret Cho". He currently has his own One Man Show playing at The Climate Theater in SF). He is also the instructor for the Solo Performance class I've decided to take to help in my process of writing my show.

Now, I won't say too much as I do not want to give away any of the surprises, characters or content of my own piece. But I will say, that this is the hardest creative endeavor I've experienced in my whole 10 years of performing. As compared to stand-up comedy, this most certainly took longer to get over my own fears of judgment and condemnation. As the topic of my show is very near and dear to my heart...I had to come to terms that in order for me to expressively shine through this project, I had to tear down the walls that kept me safe and secure from strangers and even worse...fellow comics.

Last night, I was finally able to do that (after three weeks of being in this class). I was able to have fun and finally feel free on stage with my writing and with my piece. I admit there's more work to be done with my writing, my commitment to my characters & my story's arch. But at least the hard part for me is over.

And so this morning (as I slept through my alarm for bootcamp! darn it) I had another one of my crazy dreams. I was inside a house with four friends, we hear this growing sound getting louder and louder. As we look out the window, there's thousands of helicopters flying above us. All in one direction. Like a swarm of thousands! All different colors, shapes, types, sizes...A lot of them very colorful. And so I looked it up when I got into work. And this is what I found...

Helicopter
To see a helicopter in your dream, represents your ambition and achievements. You are in full pursuit of your goals. Alternatively, you may be experiencing a higher level of consciousness, new-found freedom and greater awareness.




Hmmm...Awesome!

No comments: