Wednesday, March 7, 2007

In honor of MARCH: National Women's History Month

"Whats up with all the conditions? Why are women so demanding? You're such a Bitch!"

Wow, can you believe the stupid things that come out of men's mouths?

Don't worry.... this won't be a typical Man-Hating rant. No this is more a product of a good 19 minutes of shedding off negative energy. Inspired by the ignorance the majority of men today in my generation have. And the way they think they can just disrespect us women.


So when men ask me questions such as these (example: Dang, why are you so uptight?) What I really hear is...Why do women deserve those conditions, those demands, and....my respect?

I'm sick of having to explain myself...but to honor the women that came before me...and for those girls growing into womenhood...let me spell it out for you:

Because honey, not matter how much the world would like to think everything is fair nowadays...it's not.

Because for the past 100 years conditions for us have been unfair and down right shitty!

Because some of us have finally seen the light. And have come to realize that as women we are ...not dumb...not stupid...not inferior!

Because in this new generation of women, we're looking out for ourselves (not our boyfriends, not our bosses, or our husbands).

Because in looking out for ourselves, we're not going to submissively ask politely anymore.

Because we're not going to wait around and hope you'll notice the things we deserve.

Because you won't. You know why?

Because you're too busy looking out for yourself too. Which...

Because you're a man...it's "okay" to look our for just yourself.

Because when you look out for yourself...it's not seen as being selfish or "diva-ish"...It's seen as being a MAN. Being assertive. And knowing what you want!

SO, I know you want to view us "demanding" women & judge us as bitches or "divas" or what ever pathetic jab you think of. But let me tell you...without us strong women, you'd be motherless, hopeless, and even more less of a man then you are today.

Because (and what pisses me off the most) if I was born with the same equipment you were endowed with...you wouldn't feel the need to ask me those questions in the first place or make those quick judgments about me. You'd blindly accept me the way I was and actually take notice that I was an assertive and straight-forward guy.

So don't come at me with "You're too demanding" or "why all the conditions?"

Because unlike you, I'm strong enough to be who I am and NOT make excuses or worse...apologize for who I am! We women are the way we are, the way our past has built us...STRONG-intelligent-take-no-shit-from-anybody-kick-ass women!

and you better NOT respond to this with a "You go girl"!

2 comments:

Luna Salaver said...

It was May when I found out I was pregnant. The same week that I got the late night news that my friend and roommate, Laura, had died in a tragic motorcycle accident on Oak and Octavia Streets. She was a passenger on a motorcycle and she had no control when its driver, Barbara, ran a red light. A bad decision as a car broadsided the bike, sending Laura 30 feet in the air and crashing into the ground.
She was a strong, beautiful, intelligent woman. She was adored by men and women alike. The world lost an extraordinary soul that clear, starry San Francisco night in May 1979. We were both college students then. She, at SFSU, me at CCSF, but we were so involved in progressive movements, including the women's movement.
So the week her life ended, yours began. And as I sat at the CCSF Student Clinic and absorbed the news that I was pregnant, I committed my life to raising a child that would be progressive in thought and socially conscious. A person who would grow up to be talented, yet ultimately give back to society. A person that would be better than I could ever be. The fact that you're beautiful, inherited my fashion sense and goofy as hell is icing on the cake. Reading your blog about International Women's Month, something I have been celebrating since 1977, I have accomplished all that I daydreamed about that day in May so many years ago.
The fact that you share Laura's name--I know she's in heaven and loving the honor. Laura means victory and Nicole means victorious people.
How fitting for a Vagina Warrior, don't you think?
Love, Mom

John Sekar said...

Hmmm..
Was reading your blog..

You make a very good point about men and women.. But also please keep in mind a few other things:
Like biology, for example..
You women may be strong assertive blah blah etc (i got no problems with that), but when you fall in love, you almost always like a stronger, more assertive, more demanding man.. Looks are almost always the first concern of a woman when it comes to looking for something in a man.. Given that, you(I mean, women) are also being unfair in dealing with the opposite sex..

We(I mean, the two sexes) are both unfair to each other.. Only in different ways.. And that too only because of the different perceptions we have of each other and ourselves (which is something hardwired into our heads partly culturally and partly biologically)

Dint mean to be confrontational, if that's the impression you got.. Would love to talk to you.. Hit my blogs... :-)