Wednesday, November 28, 2007

I miss IMPROV!

One of my favorite forms of acting has got to be Improv...Why do I enjoy it so much? Cuz it's when you don't let your mind take over and you just go with the flow of things and let the first impulse that pops outta your imagination lead you to a scene.

This past year, I've been blessed to be apart of an Improv Troupe founded by Playback Theater Champ, Jason Agar! Jason is a down ass dude that has a huge heart and a free spirit (and on certain days resembles a freindly elf like creature).
This time last year I signed up for a Playback Theater Workshop, not knowing what was in store. But after a couple of weeks of rehearsing (or "playing" as we like to call it) we got on stage and performed as Pinoy Playback Theater. It was the most fun I've ever had on stage (acting wise). And now I really miss it. I miss giving back to an audience in an artform so freeing & so positive!

Not that stand-up isn't giving back to a crowd of strangers, but stand-up is more about my opinions/views on the world or the stories I have. Playback is almost the opposite of that.

For those still confused, here's a brief definition of Playback Theater:
"Playback Theatre is created through a unique collaboration between performers and audience. Someone tells a story or moment from their life, chooses actors to play the different roles, then watches as their story is immediately recreated and given artistic shape and coherence.

Playback Theatre creates a ritual space where any story - however ordinary, extraordinary, hidden or difficult - might be told, and immediately made into theatre. And where each person's uniqueness is honoured and affirmed while at the same time building and strengthening our connections to each other as a community of people. "


August 2007: I-Hotel Pinoy Playback Performance for Kearny Street Workshop's APAture. Fluid Sculpture in motion.

No comments: